Copyright © 2007-2018 by Herbert Poul

You are not logged in.
Login
Register

Change Language:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A Django site.

Powered by Sphene Community Tools
Board » General » Feature Discussions » Locking and moving threads/posts, among other things

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Hi there! Thanks for the excellent forum software. I have been trying to modify MyghtyBoard to work with a very large scale website I'm working on, but in the process I stumbled upon your tools. They look like they're exactly what I'm looking for, except for a few small missing features:
  • User avatars/pictures in profiles
  • Private threads or categories w/django permissions
  • Ability to lock or move threads/posts
  • Ability to annotate disabled posts (for legal reasons)
  • Sortable list headings (title, last post, etc.)
  • Visual indication of thread status (sticky, hot, locked)

The reason I need all of this is because the client wanted us to graft either phpbb or one of the commercial products into the site we're building in Django. I would MUCH rather go with an all-Django solution. That's why I was trying to bend MyghtyBoard to my needs. They're looking for the features offered by phpbb, etc, so I need to find, make or modify something equivalent in Django.

What are the chances of getting any of this in place? I can do the annotations, as it's a bit more more esoteric, but the rest seem to be things that need to be in a full-fledged phpbb replacement.

Thanks!

--- Last Edited by Daniel Ellison at 2007-08-06 23:13:02 ---
"Never quote yourself" -- Daniel Ellison
hi,

all those features look like they make sense.. so .. the chances are quite high that they end up in SCT :)
if you think SCT would work for you once those features are implemented i can see how fast they could be implemented..

Daniel Ellison said @ 2007-08-06 23:11:32:

i haven't implemented this yet, because i thought a while about using gravatar, instead of a custom solution .. but since this obviously wouldn't work for you (and many other people i guess) this looks like a good opportunity to implement it :)

categories already have permissions assigned to them. although very limited yet.. what exactly do you need ? (SCT is organized into "Groups" (community groups) .. and the current permissions allow to allow to set edit/write permissions to: Everyone, All logged in users, Members of the group, Administrators)

you also need to set permissions for threads ? is that still manageable ? :)

locking is already in the issue tracker.. moving threads would currently be possible through the django admin :) of course we need a UI for it :)

do you also need to move posts between threads ? or just threads into other categories ?

what exactly do you mean with this feature ?

i'm not sure how often someone wants to sort by title.. but anyway .. sounds easy to implement (for most cases)

well .. you can visually indicate sticky threads by modifying the template.. it currently simply writes 'Sticky: ' in front of the subject :)

hot and locked is currently not implemented.. but both are on the issue tracker - i guess you mean hot as in .. once it received x hits ? or .. x replies ?
Hey, we have Signatures !!! Great, isn't it ? ;)
all those features look like they make sense.. so .. the chances are quite high that they end up in SCT :)
if you think SCT would work for you once those features are implemented i can see how fast they could be implemented..
Excellent! It would indeed work for me once these features are implemented. When I was writing my previous message I realized that some of these things were probably already there, but I'm in a hurry (of course) and didn't have time for a thorough investigation.

i haven't implemented this yet, because i thought a while about using gravatar, instead of a custom solution .. but since this obviously wouldn't work for you (and many other people i guess) this looks like a good opportunity to implement it :)

Personally I don't like avatars in forums, but this isn't for me. :) The needs of this client are simple: small, static images with a size restriction and perhaps a default avatar with a big question mark or something.

categories already have permissions assigned to them. although very limited yet.. what exactly do you need ? (SCT is organized into "Groups" (community groups) .. and the current permissions allow to allow to set edit/write permissions to: Everyone, All logged in users, Members of the group, Administrators)

you also need to set permissions for threads ? is that still manageable ? :)

The permissions on the groups sound perfect already. All I would need is the same sort of permissions on threads. And I'm not the one who will be managing the site. :)

locking is already in the issue tracker.. moving threads would currently be possible through the django admin :) of course we need a UI for it :)

do you also need to move posts between threads ? or just threads into other categories ?

Ah, good. Definitely need locking/unlocking. And yes, the client thinks they need to move posts between threads in case their (brilliant) users post in the wrong thread. One thing that the Django admin wouldn't handle automatically is a ghost post/thread saying that the content has moved, with a link to the new location. MyghtyBoard can do it... ;)

what exactly do you mean with this feature ?

The client has a very (very) strict legal department (large media company). They need to be able to hide a post and give a reason for doing so without modifying the original post at all. They don't want to be sued by users claiming they modified their work of art. So they need to "annotate" a post with the reason for disabling it.

i'm not sure how often someone wants to sort by title.. but anyway .. sounds easy to implement (for most cases)

This one is very low priority. The client will be getting a very high volume of threads/posts and wants some little conveniences.

well .. you can visually indicate sticky threads by modifying the template.. it currently simply writes 'Sticky: ' in front of the subject :)

hot and locked is currently not implemented.. but both are on the issue tracker - i guess you mean hot as in .. once it received x hits ? or .. x replies ?

I figured there was already something there. And yes, you have the right idea for the hot functionality.

Thanks a lot for considering all of these things. I can tackle some of them myself, but my time is extremely limited (site launch in mid-September) and we still have the rest of the site to do. If I do manage to get to any of these I'll let you know beforehand so we don't duplicate work. But I figured you're the person who best knows the source and your tools would benefit from most of these features anyway. Your forums could end up being the standard Django forum implementation!

Thanks.
so.. i have now put your feature requests into the issue tracker

a couple of things i'm still not sure how you would expect them:

Daniel Ellison said @ 2007-08-07 13:22:07:
Ah, good. Definitely need locking/unlocking. And yes, the client thinks they need to move posts between threads in case their (brilliant) users post in the wrong thread. One thing that the Django admin wouldn't handle automatically is a ghost post/thread saying that the content has moved, with a link to the new location. MyghtyBoard can do it... ;)

I guess if an administrator moves a thread.. it should be gone in the old category ? i see no reason to keep a dead thread alive.. after all .. it's the wrong category :)

and.. as for moving posts between threads .. this sounds very strange :) are you sure this is necessary ? how does the UI look like ? does the user enter the ID of the target thread ? what's with the post-date - does it stay the same ? what if someone moves a post into a thread which was created after this post .. then the post would be ordered as the first post in this thread :) .. i think this is a very strange behavior (and requirement) - do you have some myghtyboard installation where i could look at that feature ?

The client has a very (very) strict legal department (large media company). They need to be able to hide a post and give a reason for doing so without modifying the original post at all. They don't want to be sued by users claiming they modified their work of art. So they need to "annotate" a post with the reason for disabling it.

Ok i guess i understand :) - but.. is there any other "annotation" than hiding the post ? maybe it would be useful to annotate posts without hiding the original content ? - just adding an administrator - note :)

This one is very low priority. The client will be getting a very high volume of threads/posts and wants some little conveniences.

I added an issue for it (Issue 56) but haven't assigned it to milestone 0.3 since it has very low priority for you .. and i see no real usability gain ..

is it enough to have the option to say .. a thread is "hot" if it as x posts OR x views .. or should there be some crazy crosschecking :) or other factors.. like x views in the last 10 days
Great discussion about the forum.
I personally agree with a dead post saying that the post was moved, since sometimes I was looking for threads that were removed and before I noticed it was in a new thread I lost some time gathering.

About the "what is hot" topic, I would prefer something complex so a thread won't be "hot" after three months of inactivity.

The avatar system could be a plugin, so we can create something simple but anybody can implement a complex avatar if necessary, but in my example, I don't need anything more then a small picture

About Adminstrator annotations, is it not easier to add a button like "Admin" after the Quote button in each reply so, if any annotation is added it will appear below the topic, and the admin can also lock, move, annotate or do any other admin action for each reply or thread.

--- Last Edited by Anderson Santos at 2007-08-08 18:40:37 ---
what the heck am I doing?
so.. i have now put your feature requests into the issue tracker
Thanks! That's perfect. I'll look there for updates.
I guess if an administrator moves a thread.. it should be gone in the old category ? i see no reason to keep a dead thread alive.. after all .. it's the wrong category :)

Anderson Santos said @ 2007-08-08 18:36:39:
I personally agree with a dead post saying that the post was moved, since sometimes I was looking for threads that were removed and before I noticed it was in a new thread I lost some time gathering.

I agree with Anderson and myself. :) A "dead" thread (definitely locked!) with a link to the new location is standard practice for other boards.
and.. as for moving posts between threads .. this sounds very strange :) are you sure this is necessary ? how does the UI look like ? does the user enter the ID of the target thread ? what's with the post-date - does it stay the same ? what if someone moves a post into a thread which was created after this post .. then the post would be ordered as the first post in this thread :) .. i think this is a very strange behavior (and requirement) - do you have some myghtyboard installation where i could look at that feature ?

Actually, I convinced the client that they didn't need to move posts, just threads. Whew! That's what MyghtyBoard does - threads, not posts.
Ok i guess i understand :) - but.. is there any other "annotation" than hiding the post ? maybe it would be useful to annotate posts without hiding the original content ? - just adding an administrator - note :)

The post needs to be hidden in case it contains offensive content. It needs to be annotated so the lawyers can come in later and see why the post was hidden. As I said previously, this is quite specific to my needs here, so if you don't see a general need for it I certainly understand.
is it enough to have the option to say .. a thread is "hot" if it as x posts OR x views .. or should there be some crazy crosschecking :) or other factors.. like x views in the last 10 days

About the "what is hot" topic, I would prefer something complex so a thread won't be "hot" after three months of inactivity.

Anderson said it: there needs to be some sort of intelligence to it so that "hot" means hot.

Again, thanks for looking into all of this. It's very much appreciated.
Daniel Ellison said @ 2007-08-08 20:19:53:
I agree with Anderson and myself. :) A "dead" thread (definitely locked!) with a link to the new location is standard practice for other boards.
ok .. then.. let's create a dead thread :) ..
can you point me to some sandbox board with that feature ? i would like to see how the UI looks like ? probably just a link to the new thread ?

Actually, I convinced the client that they didn't need to move posts, just threads. Whew! That's what MyghtyBoard does - threads, not posts.

very good news :)

The post needs to be hidden in case it contains offensive content. It needs to be annotated so the lawyers can come in later and see why the post was hidden. As I said previously, this is quite specific to my needs here, so if you don't see a general need for it I certainly understand.

well .. the best solution imho would be an annotation feature where hiding the content is optional .. so an administrator can also add some notes to an existing post without editing it..

Anderson said it: there needs to be some sort of intelligence to it so that "hot" means hot.

well.. i would prefer if we could limit it down to a handful of options.. so it can be hard coded.. (i think performance could get a problem if that has to be calculated for each thread instead of a simple SQL statement)

is there something else than x hits in the last x days OR x replies in the last x days ?

or would it be better to say ... x hits, and a reply in the last x days ?

ok .. then.. let's create a dead thread :) ..
can you point me to some sandbox board with that feature ? i would like to see how the UI looks like ? probably just a link to the new thread ?
Take a look here: http://syrinx.zigguratt.com/forum/forum/1/
The topic "Another Topic" was moved from "Test Forum" to "A Useless Forum". This will show you what a "dead" thread looks like - at least with MyghtyBoard.
well .. the best solution imho would be an annotation feature where hiding the content is optional .. so an administrator can also add some notes to an existing post without editing it..

I like that idea! Very flexible and makes it more applicable to general forum functioning instead of being something I need for my project. Perfect!
well.. i would prefer if we could limit it down to a handful of options.. so it can be hard coded.. (i think performance could get a problem if that has to be calculated for each thread instead of a simple SQL statement)

is there something else than x hits in the last x days OR x replies in the last x days ?

or would it be better to say ... x hits, and a reply in the last x days ?

I think x hits in the last x days OR x replies in the last x days would work for me.

And since you mention hits, is there a way to access the number of "reads" on any thread?
Daniel Ellison said @ 2007-08-09 20:24:30:
Take a look here: http://syrinx.zigguratt.com/forum/forum/1/
The topic "Another Topic" was moved from "Test Forum" to "A Useless Forum". This will show you what a "dead" thread looks like - at least with MyghtyBoard.
ok thanks.. i just think about how much it needs to be integrated into the board.. or if it should be simply a "default" thread which contains a link to the new thread without any special data structure ..

Daniel Ellison said @ 2007-08-09 20:24:30:
I think x hits in the last x days OR x replies in the last x days would work for me.

And since you mention hits, is there a way to access the number of "reads" on any thread?

what do you mean with .. reads ? how many different people have accessed the thread ? - because what happens if a new post is added to the thread.. should every hit count as new read ? - what happens to anonymous users ?
The needs of this client are simple: small, static images with a size restriction and perhaps a default avatar with a big question mark or something.
btw. you don't have by any chance a nice question-mark image available which is free to use ? ;)

Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

Please login to post a reply.