Login
Register

Change Language:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A Django site.

Powered by Sphene Community Tools
Board » General » Feature Requests

Page: 1 2 3 Next

*) Preference to change the Notify me option off by default (instead of on).
*) I know it's been mentioned already and is already planned, but post editing would be really swell. :)
*) Sticky posts.
*) CamelCase Wiki Links from the board (I guess there's a tag or filter for this already that you could put at the end of post bodies in the templates?).
What? You wanted a sig?
do you mean a global preference which is set in settings.py ? or a user-defined preference ?

post editing .. coming soon ;)

sticky posts.. is already possible.. if you're an admin you should have "Thread Options: Make Sticky" on each thread ?

CamelCase links is a good idea.. but.. no .. there is currently no such template tag.. but i guess it shouldn't be too hard to write one .. i'll think about it .. because it should be some generic way which is used in the wiki and the board the same way ..
Hey, we have Signatures !!! Great, isn't it ? ;)
Ok I see the sticky thing now. I guess I missed it before. Oops.
What? You wanted a sig?
do you mean a global preference which is set in settings.py ? or a user-defined preference ?
Both, really. It doesn't have to be in settings.py; it'd probably be better as a setting in the configuration of the board -- does Django properly alter tables yet when you change models around? :(

post editing .. coming soon ;)

Excellent.

CamelCase links is a good idea.. but.. no .. there is currently no such template tag.. but i guess it shouldn't be too hard to write one .. i'll think about it .. because it should be some generic way which is used in the wiki and the board the same way ..

I liked it, myself. :)

Also, it would be cool to be able to have a 'snip board' in which every single WikiSnip is automatically entered as a post on the board, and the comments are like the "talk" entries on Wikipedia -- so you can get a good discussion going on the content of the wiki article. For the purposes I'm planning on using the wiki (MMO planning/development) this would be a great feature -- it would allow us to discuss the merits of a particular idea described on the page quickly, easily, and with a fully-featured board.
What? You wanted a sig?
Also, it would be cool to be able to have a 'snip board' in which every single WikiSnip is automatically entered as a post on the board, and the comments are like the "talk" entries on Wikipedia -- so you can get a good discussion going on the content of the wiki article. For the purposes I'm planning on using the wiki (MMO planning/development) this would be a great feature -- it would allow us to discuss the merits of a particular idea described on the page quickly, easily, and with a fully-featured board.
So thinking about it, this would be like the inverse of the news macro -- instead of embedding board threads into a wiki page, you'd be embedding wiki pages into a special board. Of course, it'd probably be a lot harder than the news macro.
What? You wanted a sig?
well.. it's not really the inverse.. because the purpose of the news macro is to display board threads in the wiki..
ie. it's an improvement to the wiki ... that what you are suggesting is actually .. the same.. it would be an improvement to the wiki (from a user's point of view at least)

the question is .. how the integration would be best implemented.. i think it would be an overhead to automatically to create threads for every snip no matter if a discussion is actually happening .. so the thread should only be created once the first comment is posted..

maybe it would be possible to find a way to make simple board extensions possible.. because i think this "problem" and http://sct.sphene.net/board/thread/40/ ("SCT boards as support forum ?") could be solved together somehow.. at least the interfaces in which such improvements are done.. some kind of specialized categories would be a first step .. but i'm not sure yet how this could be solved cleanly :)
*) I know it's been mentioned already and is already planned, but post editing would be really swell. :)
FYI: editing is now implemented.. and.. a couple of other improvements..
like. previewing of posts, and (almost) usable quotes of user posts... ;)

So, shouldn't markdown, wiki links, and bbcode all be filters that you run snip/post bodies through? That makes the most sense to me -- you could run through BBCode first, then markdown, then wiki links in something like:
{{ thread.body|sph_bbcode|sph_markdown|sph_wikilinks }}

I just looked at sph_markdown and it looks like that's where you do the wiki links anyway via a markdown extension, maybe you could just stick the bbcode stuff into a markdown extension as well and just run every body of text through sph_markdown and support markdown, BBCode and CamelCase Wiki links in every context.

Just throwing out ideas. :)
What? You wanted a sig?
FYI: editing is now implemented.. and.. a couple of other improvements..
like. previewing of posts, and (almost) usable quotes of user posts... ;)
Strange...I just svn up'd and I seem to have picked up quotes but not editing. I see here that all my previous posts are editable, but on my site that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll try making a new post and seeing if I can edit it.
What? You wanted a sig?
That makes the most sense to me -- you could run through BBCode first, then markdown, then wiki links in something like:
{{ thread.body|sph_bbcode|sph_markdown|sph_wikilinks }}

well.. the problem is that the wikilinks are currently tied into markdown (it's actually a markdown extension which i've just downloaded together with markdown.. nothing SCT specific .. altough i modified it slightly)
but in the end .. it's just a regular expression which is run through the code..
i think the easiest way would be to put the regular expression and the logic to create wiki links.. out of the markdown extension into a small library .. which is used by the board and this extension..

anyway.. the reason why the bbcode is no filter but is used in the python code is, that i originally intended to let the user chose in which format he want to write his posts.. this way it would be possible to integrate FCKeditor or another wysiwyg editor easily..
and .. if you see the problem with this aspect.. it's clear that the model should do the rendering, not the template.. since only the Post model knows how to render it's content..

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.