Login
Register

Change Language:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A Django site.

Powered by Sphene Community Tools
Board » General » Hiding email address for non-logged in users

Hello,

First of all, thanks for this great piece of software.

I am not sure whether people consider this a bug, but wouldn't it be better if contact details are hidden for non-logged in users in the forum? As they appear when you click on the user name I mean.

Greetings.
well .. i wouldn't consider it a bug ..
but it's a valid feature request..

i will add it to a related issue: http://code.google.com/p/sct-project/issues/detail?id=76

i think the best way would be to require captchas for anonymous users before they can see the email address.. what do you think ?
Hey, we have Signatures !!! Great, isn't it ? ;)
Hi,

Well, I have at the moment just changed the code in templates/community/sphene/profile.html like this:

Index: sphene/community/templates/sphene/community/profile.html
===================================================================
--- sphene/community/templates/sphene/community/profile.html    (revision 510)
+++ sphene/community/templates/sphene/community/profile.html    (working copy)
@@ -9,11 +9,14 @@
       <th>{% trans "Name" %}</th>
       <td>{{ profile_user|sph_fullusername }}</td>
     </tr>
+{% if user.is_authenticated %}
     <tr>
       <th>{% trans "Email Address" %}</th>
       <td>{{ profile_user|sph_publicemailaddress }}</td>
     </tr>
     {{ additionalprofile }}
+{% else %}
+{% endif %}
   </table>

{% for block in profile_blocks %}

Where the else is not really necessary, but I was thinking of putting a message there... like that the user has to login to see more details.
i have now implemented issue 76 - and .. requiring captchas for anonymous users..

if the SPH_SETTING: 'community_email_anonymous_require_captcha' is enabled (default False) anonymous users will have to enter a captcha - after this they are allowed to view email addresses for 10 minutes for now .. (i think this is quite reasonable for "normal" websites)

i have enabled it on this site.. so if you logout and view a users profile you will see a 'Reveal this emailaddress' link ..
Wow, that is great. This is what I love about open source.

However, and I don't want to sound to be nitpicking, spam-sensitive information such as your ICQ and Jabber address are still visible. Beside that there might be the case that users don't want to show their email address to anybody at all. Maybe it would be an option to say for users whether they want their address to be kept private, and if so, to contact individual users, we would need some sort of Personal Message system. Or at least some sort of 'contact' form where somebody who wants to contact that person can type a message that is then sent to the 'anonymous' person. That person can then choose whether they want to reveal themselves to the sender of the address or not.
well.. i don't see icq & jabber as such a problem because it's not as easy for spam bots to automatically filter those informations .. and it's not as common as email spam ..

as for users who don't want to share their email addresses: simply enter HIDDEN into the 'public email address' field in the profile .. and noone sees the real email address.. (or .. if you use the SPH_SETTING 'show_only_publicemailaddress' .. users who don't enter any public email address won't have their email addresses displayed at all)
SPH_SETTING 'show_only_publicemailaddress'
Hi, wow, that is exactly what I need. Where is it documented?
it isn't documented yet :(

you would have to check out the inline documentation - e.g. http://yourhell.com/svn/root/django/communitytools/trunk/sphenecoll/sphene/community/sphsettings.py

Please login to post a reply.