You are not logged in.
Login
Register

Change Language:

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

A Django site.

Powered by Sphene Community Tools
Board » General » multi group + multi wiki set up

hi, i'm very new to sphene. so far i am very impressed with the community tools. i want to set up multiple groups on my website. however:

1. i am not sure how to do it properly.
2. how do i access the wiki + board for these groups without having it hardcoded into urls.py (i.e. defaultdict = { 'groupName': 'example' }, as shown in the tutorial.)?

finally, are there any ideas out there to be able to create multiple wiki's under each group?

thanks a bunch!
hi,

2. how do i access the wiki + board for these groups without having it hardcoded into urls.py (i.e. defaultdict = { 'groupName': 'example' }, as shown in the tutorial.)?

take a look at the CommunityDraft project.. http://yourhell.com/wsvn/root/django/communitydraft/trunk/community/settings_local.py.tmpl
you can use SPH_HOST_MIDDLEWARE_URLCONF_MAP with wildcards like r'^(?P<groupName>\w+).mydomain.com$': { 'urlconf': 'urlconfs.community_urls', }

(this one is used by the middleware 'sphene.community.middleware.Multi\HostMiddleware')

finally, are there any ideas out there to be able to create multiple wiki's under each group?

no, this is not possible .. the only reason for the existence of groups is actually to have separate wikis/forums .. so i see no reason to have multiple wikis in one group :)
why exactly do you need this ?
Hey, we have Signatures !!! Great, isn't it ? ;)
hi herbert,

thanks for your quick reply - much appreciated. i will try setting up multiple groups, as you suggested. as for the multiple wikis, i want that feature because i want each group to be able to publish several papers (e.g. scientists collaborating to publish several papers).

so as it stands, sphene does not have this feature. so would it be possible to modify the sphwiki app to have this feature? if yes, would you be able to point me in the direction on how you would do this (conceptually). i would really appreciate that, since it would provide a starting point. thanks again, herbert :)
well.. wouldn't it be possible to use hierarchical snippets ?

for example use 'ScientificPaperA/Intro' instead of just 'Intro' .. the only negative aspect is, that currently all wiki links have to be absolute..

if you really need some deeper separation i would say the best way to go would be creating a new group :) .. it is possible to have hierarchical groups .. but currently this has absolutely no relevance in permissions or whatsoever .. but i guess this would be the way to go .. allow members of a group to create "subgroups" and keep the wiki working as it is .. you would then only need to modify the way the wiki snips check if the user has permission to edit a snip ..

but .. well .. i would prefer the first version .. as it is much simpler and no modifications would be required.. although it is not transparent to the user ... maybe it would be worth thinking about why this solution can't be chosen .. and then fix that.. e.g. allow relative links .. ?
i like the idea of hierarchical snippets for the wiki. i will try that out and see where it takes me. thanks again for your quick response. much appreciated.
hi, it's me again.

i've got some other questions:
1. if i decide to create wiki's by creating subgroups, would the subgroups members and member permissions be inherited by the parent group?
2. for the pdf generation, will the action of generating a pdf act only on a snip or will the whole wiki be converted to pdf?

thanks!
1. if i decide to create wiki's by creating subgroups, would the subgroups members and member permissions be inherited by the parent group?
nope, currently not ..

2. for the pdf generation, will the action of generating a pdf act only on a snip or will the whole wiki be converted to pdf?

pdf generation only works on one snip .. but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out a way to convert all snips in a wiki, or just a subset (e.g. when using hierarchical snips)
thanks herbert. the answer to question 2 is what i'm looking for in splitting up the wikis. much appreciated :)

Please login to post a reply.